Wednesday, November 27, 2013

November 27


We continued examining the process of writing a WRA II Essay today. I gave you the essay question sheet, and you had some time for some small group brainstorming of arguments and evidence. I then walked you through the structure of the first paragraph by showing you an example of an outline for the Unit 2 WRA II essay source. I will post this on the wiki today, so please check the section on the Social 20-1 wiki called WRA II Essay Writing. I also did a homework check on your Chapter 8 Key Terms and Questions. Please remember that your Chapter 7-8 Test is tomorrow, please check out the study guide here (scroll down to find it).  
I did a homework check on your Chapter 10 Key Terms and Questions. I went through a lot of political concepts today, so you'll need to get these notes from a classmate if you were away. We covered direct democracy, representative democracy, parliamentary democracy and presidential democracy. Our example of a parliamentary democracy that we'll examine in greater detail is Canada. We talked about the organization/structure of the Canadian political system, responsible government and the Senate and House of Commons. Other concepts that you should understand moving forward are representation by population, minority government, majority government and non-confidence votes. Tomorrow, we'll finish off our examination of the Canadian political system. I will also give you your Unit 2 WRA II Essay question sheet tomorrow.
I went through a lot of economic concepts today, so if you missed class you will need to get these notes from a classmate. I went through the basic economic problem facing all societies (scarcity), economic systems, economic values, basic economic questions and how the economic systems would answer the questions differently. I also reviewed the economic-political grid, the law of supply and demand and the boom and bust cycle (the business cycle). I will start tomorrow with the boom and bust cycle and discuss what the Keynesian economic response will be to the various stages of the cycle. Please remember that you have your Prescribed Subject 1 Quiz on Friday.

No comments: