Thursday, December 08, 2005

December 8


Today I had you do some more reading from your textbook. These are the pages that you were to read and take notes on: pages 164-175 and pages 181-189. We will be discussing this tomorrow in class. Tomorrow is the last day to hand in your "Country Report Assignment". If your assignment is not handed in by the end of classes tomorrow, I will not accept them next week.


I delivered a PowerPoint presentation in class today, that I will be sending out to you. We also discussed the task which I had you do for homework last night. We talked about why people should vote, why young people don't vote, and what could be done to encourage young people to vote.
Here's what I would like you to do tonight:
1. Visit the Canada Votes website
2. Click on "Ridings & Candidates"
3. Click on "Alberta"
4. Most of you live in the "Calgary Nose Hill" riding, so click on that.
5. Prepare a list of candidates for your riding and their political party affiliation.
6. Take some notes on the candidates (biographical information, key points of the party platform that they may be emphasizing, some may even have their own websites too that you can explore).
7. I live in the "Calgary West" riding, so you can also do a little investigating of the candidates that I have to select from.

There may be a couple of you who do not live in the Calgary Nose Hill riding, if you think that might be the case, please go to the Elections Canada website, and search for your riding by postal code.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wondering...
which political party do you support?

From hints in class discussions, I'm thinking Liberal or NDP.

Liberals are best for Canada.

Kevin Gilchrist said...

Really? You think so? Interesting. I didn't think I was leaning that way at all. Hopefully, you're not thinking, he's a teacher so therefore he must vote NDP. I think that I've been equally critical of all the major parties, I'd like to think that I've heaped enough criticism on each of the political parties to make it difficult for you to figure which way I vote. Ultimately, I'm not going to tell you which political party I vote for, I guess I'm kind of like my mom in that way. It's a secret ballot, so my votes are my secret to keep. Additionally, when it comes time for you vote, you can vote for whatever political party you want and I would respect your decision, as long as it was an informed decision.

Anonymous said...

I actually thought he would vote Conservative.

Anonymous said...

Same.......he sounds like Ann Coulter (without that much liberalism) when he talks. No offense.

Anonymous said...

maybe he secretly lives in quebec and is a sovereigntist voting bloc quebecois. hmm...

Anonymous said...

or maybe Green party..

Anonymous said...

People.......we are not here to name all the parties that can be elected in Canada, or to start a class pool on who Mr.Gil-to-the-christ is gonna vote for. It's called a secret ballot. Besides, why would you care?

Anonymous said...

never again.......