Wednesday, November 26, 2008

November 26


Most of today's class period was spent writing your Unit 2 Final Exam. I will let you know the results of this test tomorrow in class. Please remember that on Friday you will be doing a Part A In-Class Writing Assignment based on material from Unit 2. Make sure that you bring your textbooks to class tomorrow because we will be looking at material from Unit 3, specifically Chapter 9.


We finished watching "Shipbreakers" today as well as finishing off the presentation called "Globalization and Sustainability". I have sent this presentation to you already, along with the Unit 3 Essay Question Sheet (you are allowed to bring notes that you put on this sheet into class on December 2nd when you write your In-Class Position Paper for Unit 3) and a Unit 3 Position Paper Outline Sheet (useful for outlining/planning out your essay). Please check your e-mail inboxes! I have one message bounce back to me already, so if you didn't get this message, please send me an e-mail tonight!!



In connection with watching "Shipbreakers" today, and talking about the life cycle of a ship and the sustainability of the shipbreaking industry, I thought it would be interesting to look at another example of an industry that has environmental consequences that are sort of "out of sight, out of mind". I'm talking about e-waste. National Geographic Magazine had a feature on e-waste in their January 2008 issue that I would like you to read. Here is the hyperlink to the article: click here. I'm giving you some time to read this article and complete a one-page written response to the article (this written response is due on Friday, December 5th, it'll be for homework check marks incidentally). In your written response to the magazine article I would like you to focus on the following question: What can be done to make e-waste more environmentally friendly, and increase the sustainability of this industry?

No comments: