Monday, February 07, 2011

February 7


I gave you your first writing assignment today: the Global Connections Essay. In this informative essay, you are to answer the following essay question: What are my impacts on the world? You are really trying to personalize your essay by indicating what are some social, economic, political and environmental effects that you have on the world. What impact is globalization having on you, and what impact do have on globalization (in other words, how do you contribute to globalization)? Are you having a positive or negative impact on the world? This Global Connections Essay is due on Thursday. Your Chapter 1 Key Terms and Questions are due on Thursday as well. Your World Geography Test is on Friday, February 11th, please see the study guide here (scroll down to find it).


I went through how to be successful on a WRA II (in-class position paper) for most of today's class. You have a copy of the "Recipe for Success" and "Analyzing Quotes" which I think will be really helpful in preparing for essays. Tomorrow, we'll look at writing an outline for an essay that will be similar to your Unit 1 WRA II (you write this on Tuesday of next week). I also gave you time to work on your Individualism vs. Collectivism booklets. These booklets are due tomorrow. Please remember that simple "yes" or "no" answers are NOT enough on the last chart activity in that booklet. Your Chapter 2 Key Terms and Questions are due on Wednesday. Your Chapter 1-2 Test is on Thursday, please see the study guide here (scroll down to find it) and your Unit 1 Final Exam is on Friday (please see the study guide here; scroll down to find it).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mr. G,
In class, you wrote a little introduction. By any chance, did you save that? And if you did, could you post it please??
Im in 10-1 by the way :)

Kevin Gilchrist said...

Here you go:

Within the past few decades it seems that the world has become increasingly interconnected socially, politically, economically, and environmentally. With the increasing influence of the forces associated with globalization, citizens around the globe have more and more interconnections with people in other parts of the world. The economic choices that I make as a consumer in North America may have lasting impacts on people in the developing world. Additionally, I am aware of my social interconnections in the world through social media tools and the pervasive presence of the Internet in my life. Technologically speaking, the world is at my fingertips. If I want to learn more about nearly any subject I can access that information on the go through mobile digital devices, like a smartphone, and explore topics of interest in greater detail. If I want to learn more about what is happening in recent pro-democracy demonstrations in Middle Eastern countries I can easily access that information. Environmentally speaking I also have a tremendous impact on the global environment as an individual. My environmental footprint is rather deep in part due to the amount of fossil fuels that are burned to maintain my lifestyle.