Monday, March 16, 2020

March 16


You have one assignment this week: the Cold War Leaders Profile Assignment. It's due on Friday. Please share it with me on Google Drive (kevin.gilchrist.8@gmail.com). It's due by Friday, March 20th. Please model it after the sample included in the assignment. You shouldn't use point form. We've postponed the Paper 3 on the Cold War and the Americas, and the multiple choice test on the Cold War that you were supposed to write on Wednesday. As of this point in time, the provincial government hasn't cancelled the Diploma Exams in June, and the IB hasn't altered the IB exam schedule in any way. I have to proceed with the idea of trying to prepare you the best that I can for these upcoming assessments to the best of my ability. I am looking into other modes of delivery of content, but in the short term, the textbooks are posted on the IB 30/35 wiki, and I think we can do the US Civil Rights Movement unit online fairly easily. We may even start to have you submit writing assignments to us online (if necessary). Stay safe!


Your Chapter 6 Key Terms and Questions were due today. Please send them to me by email (kevin.gilchrist.8@gmail.com). Here's what I was going to do with you over the course of the next few days (hopefully you took your Social 30-1 coursebooks home with you):


  • "Dealing with a Recession" (pages 102-103 in the course book)
  • "Supply Side Economics" (pages 104-105) 
  • "Russian History Notes" (page 117)
  • "Karl Marx, the Father of Communism" notes (pages 107-109): read, highlight, and annotate these notes (I usually assign students to do this at home anyway)
  • "Vladimir Lenin" notes (pages 110-111); same procedure as above
  • "Joseph Stalin" notes (pages 112-114); same procedure as above
  • Please go through the "20th Century Rejections of Liberalism" (PowerPoint); hard copy in your Social 30-1 coursebooks (pages 134-142)
  • Read Chapter 5 in textbook (remember, I posted the entire textbook on the Social 30-1 wiki) 
  • Complete the Chapter 5 Key Terms and Activities (I will share the Google Doc with you momentarily, it will force you to make a copy. Once you've completed the work, please share your completed work with my GMail account: kevin.gilchrist.8@gmail.com). I will post a link to this Google Doc on the Unit 2 page on the Social 30-1 wiki. 
  • "Centrally Planned Economy" (page 115)
  • "Characteristics of a Command Economy" (page 116)
  • "Structure of the Soviet Economy" (pages 120-122)
That will take us to the Spring Break. At this point in time, the provincial government hasn't cancelled the Diploma Exams in June, so I have to prepare you as best I can for the Diploma. I have a lot of content online, but I am looking into some other forms of content delivery, so you can hear and see me explain some concepts online (I might be setting up a YouTube channel). We're just going to try and get through the rest of this week. 

If your parents would like to have a parent-teacher interview with me, please have them send me an email to my CBE account: krgilchrist@cbe.ab.ca

Today was a bit weird without students in the building. We met and talked about how we're going to proceed with the course. We'll do our best in a tough situation. Take care, be safe. 



I posted an outline of what you should be working on for the remaining days before Spring Break. Over Spring Break (March 20th to March 29th) you don't need to do any school work. Please go to the Online Work page to see what you should be working on over the course of the remainder of the week. If your parents need to contact me for a parent-teacher interview, please have them send an email to my CBE account: krgilchrist@cbe.ab.ca We are not doing face-to-face interviews this semester.
Please complete the following (March 16th to March 18th):

  • Please read Chapter 7 in Perspectives on Globalization (it's posted on the wiki)
  • Chapter 7 Key Terms and Questions (you have a hard copy of this, or you can download it from the Social 10-1 wiki)
  • Finish off the Historical Globalization and Imperialism PowerPoint/Google Slides on your own (you can find the lecture on the Unit 2 page)
  • Please read Chapter 8 in Perspectives on Globalization (posted on the wiki
  • Chapter 8 Key Terms and Questions
  • Go through the Legacies of Historical Globalization PowerPoint/Google Slides on your own (Unit 2 Presentations page) 

** When you have completed the key terms and questions from Chapter 7 and Chapter 8, please email them to me. (Please use my CBE email address: krgilchrist@cbe.ab.ca)  If it's a Google Doc, please share with kevin.gilchrist.8@gmail.com **

No comments: