Wednesday, March 12, 2008

March 12


I did a homework check on the last presentation that I did in class, which was "Historical Globalization and Imperialism". You were to have printed it off by now, so I thought that I would see how many of you had. If you didn't get full homework check credit for this, don't fear, you can get partial marks if you print it off tonight and bring it to class tomorrow. That presentation is really important because it is a supplement for the Chapter 7 material. Please remember that you have a Chapter 7 Quiz on Tuesday, March 18th, here is the study guide.
In today's class I went through another presentation/lecture called "Legacies of Historical Globalization". I will be sending this presentation out to you this afternoon, it would be smart to print it off and add it to your notes. You have some homework tonight: Chapter 8 Key Terms and Questions are due tomorrow. Please make sure that you read the appropriate sections of Chapter 8. Please avoid just hunting for the answers and not reading the material. This pays off on tests. I can always tell when a student doesn't read the chapter material as opposed to a student who has done the required reading. The student that has read the material has more to draw from and doesn't write in generalities.


I had you hand in your Dictator Assignment and Dictatorship Internet Assignment at the beginning of class today. If you didn't get it in today, please know that you will be deducted 10% for each day that the assignment is late. We also did some review of some economic concepts that we have covered already. I tend to do this when I teach Theme II: Economic Systems in Social 33. Repetition helps you learn these concepts and ideas, so please be ready for a quick review every day. I also introduced a new concept today, and that was economic values associated with the various economic systems, and how the market economy would answer the basic economic questions. I gave you a handout on the market economy that you need to learn really well, especially the characteristics and the advantages and disadvantages of the market economy. We then watched a video called "Capitalism", which was awesome. Don't forget that you have two tests coming up, here are the study guides for your Dictatorship Unit Final (March 17th) and your Political Systems Unit Final (March 20th).

No comments: