Wednesday, September 10, 2014

September 10


I picked where I left off yesterday talking about argumentation and evidence for position papers. I also went through how to structure your first paragraph of your essays. I STRONGLY recommend that you check out the sample essays on the wiki under WRA II Essays. We also started watching the movie "Sicko". We probably won't be able to finish "Sicko" tomorrow, but we'll watch as much as we can. Please remember that your Chapter 2 Key Terms and Questions are due tomorrow. You have your Chapter 1-2 Test on Friday, please see the study guide here. Your Unit 1 Final Exam is on Monday, please see the study guide here.


You wrote your Enlightenment Thinkers Quiz today in class. We started watching the PBS documentary "When Worlds Collide". We'll continue watching the documentary tomorrow. I also gave you the "Seeds of Change" assignment where you will have to investigate an Enlightenment era philosopher. As I said in class today, I was thinking about rock stars, movie stars and athletes today and wondering why Enlightenment thinkers aren't as well known as some of them. After all, some of these Enlightenment thinkers have made greater contributions to society, yet they don't enjoy the fame and notoriety as some these entertainment and sports celebrities. We're going to change that. I gave you some ideas in which direction this creative project could go (trading cards, magazine cover stories, Prezis, infographics, website--I changed my mind, what can I say?), show me how creative you are! Just make sure that you present the information in a concise, fun, informative way, and that your project meets all of the requirements, which are as follows:
  • Biographical Information (3 marks)
  • Area(s) of Work (what fields did they work in?) (2 marks)
  • Ideas Introduced (2 marks)
  • Aspect of medieval society that they challenged (2 marks)
  • Were they influential in their own time? (5 marks)
  • What were their contributions to modern society? (3 marks)
  • Mechanics, spelling, grammar, and list of sources cited using a recognized citation system (APA, MLA, Chicago) (3 marks)
The "Seeds of Change" assignment is due on Tuesday, September 16th.

No comments: