Monday, February 02, 2009

February 2

Welcome to the second semester...


I went through some classroom rules and expectations, the course outline, and a little bit of information about the Diploma Exam as well. We watched a short episode from "WKRP in Cincinnati" as well, the point of which was for you to see that if you don't understand something try to relate it to your own personal experience to help you make sense of concepts, or ask me to explain the concept differently. If you don't understand let me know it's my responsibility to make this course material as easy to understand as possible so that you can be successful and get the credits you need to graduate from high school.



I went through some classroom rules and expectations, the course outline for 20-1, as well as the question breakdown for Part B of the Final Exam in June, the type and frequency of tests throughout the semester, and the types of writing assignments that you will receive over the course of the semester. I also had you write a letter of introduction during class time. We'll be getting into the course material tomorrow, please make sure that you get the course textbook Exploring Nationalism.


I went through some classroom rules and expectations, the course outline, and started looking at the need for government and the views of Thomas Hobbes on government. We'll look at John Locke, Jean Jacques Rousseau and the political spectrum tomorrow. Tonight, please write a letter of introduction. Let me know some interesting things about you, your family, your interests, your extracurricular activities, and your goals for this semester.




I think that I have very simple, straight-forward classroom rules and expectations. Here's a quick recap:
  • Please be on-task during classroom time (visit later)
  • No cell phones (as per school policy); if your parents really need to get in touch with you, they should call the office. Please don't bring cell phones to class, or if you do, please remember to turn them off!
  • Please don't listen to music on MP3 players or iPods during class time, unless I have given you permission to do so.
  • Be polite. You should be listening during class lectures or when your classmates have questions to ask (you might have some of the same questions).
  • Be on time. If you are late, please enter the classroom quietly and apologize for being late. If the door is locked, I have started the lecture or there is a class presentation in progress; I will open the door and let you in as soon as possible.
  • Clean up after yourselves. Please don't leave garbage on the floor. I like my classroom fairly neat and tidy.
  • Don't bring junk food to class. Healthy snacks only. Or you could always wait until lunchtime.
  • You may chew gum in class on the following conditions: don't chew like a cow, I don't want to see the gum or hear you chewing it, that's just gross.
  • Late assignments: 10% is deducted for every day an assignment is late. If you have an excused absence, then there is some flexibility with this rule.
  • Please make sure that a parent or guardian calls the school to have absences excused. If you miss a test due to an unexcused absence you will be assigned a mark of "zero".
  • I will be contacting parent/guardians if you have unexcused absences.
  • Please adhere to the school's academic honesty policy which is on the back of your course outlines.
  • If you are going away on holidays (please do not schedule holidays during examination periods in January and June), please let me know in advance. I can prepare materials for you, let you know what you'll be missing, and even give you handouts in advance. This way you won't feel "lost" when you come back from holidays.

No comments: