Tuesday, February 03, 2009

February 3


I gave you two handouts at the beginning of class one of which was an organizational webs for Social 20-1, and the other was an organizational web for Unit 1. I then started a presentation called "Nation and Identity", which I will finish tomorrow. I gave you some class time to read pages 20-29 in your textbook. If you wanted to read the rest of Chapter 1 in Exploring Nationalism, you could tonight as it will prepare you for the material that I will cover in the second half of the presentation tomorrow.

Social 20-1 Students: Check your e-mail!




Most of today's class period was spent in small discussion groups discussing the impact of politics and government and economics on your everyday lives. Tomorrow we'll be looking at some key differences in the values of individualism and collectivism. I also started sending around the e-mail distribution list, don't worry if you didn't get your e-mail address down on this sheet of paper, I'll send it around tomorrow again.


I finished off my lecture called "Introducing Government" and looking at the ideas of Hobbes, Locke and Rousseau. I will send this presentation out to you as soon as we have the e-mail distribution list up and running. I gave you a booklet entitled "Ideology Notes" which I had you read and highlight (you can download the "Ideology Notes" booklet here). This booklet is an excellent source of information on the political and economic spectrum and should be a booklet that you would use to study and review for exams. I also gave you a booklet called "The Many Shades of Opinion" to read today as well and complete the charts in this booklet. We also did an opinion survey, which we'll have more time to discuss in tomorrow's class. Here is your homework assignment tonight:

1. Complete the individualism and collectivism charts in "The Many Shades of Opinion" booklet.

2. Complete the opinion survey sheet that I gave you in class (we'll discuss this tomorrow).

3. Go to the following website: Political Compass, and complete the survey. Answer the questions as honestly as possible, and bring your results to class tomorrow, and be prepared to discuss your results.


Social 30 Students: Check your e-mail!

No comments: