Monday, September 11, 2006

September 11


I gave you class time to work on a worksheet called "Basic Canadian Geographical Information". Here are some hyperlinks to help you finish those last few questions:

  • CIA World Factbook: Canada (useful for questions 24, 25, 26, 27)
  • Welcome to Baker Lake (you might have to read a bit to figure out how this website helps)
  • Canada InfoLink (you might have to look a bit, but this site should have answers to any other questions that might have, scroll down the page to "Geography" to find useful links)

This worksheet is due tomorrow. Please make sure that you have printed off the Regionalism package that I sent out to on Sunday night. Please follow the printing instructions that are included in that e-mail message (you don't have to print off the two map pages). You will NEED this booklet for the next couple of weeks in my class, so print it off and bring it to class everyday.


We went over the Enlightenment Thinkers Chart for the first part of class today. It seems like most of you have a pretty good grasp of the ideas of the philosophes. You will have a quiz on the following Enlightenment Thinkers next Monday (September 18):

  • Voltaire
  • Rousseau
  • Locke
  • Montesquieu
  • Quesnay
  • Smith

If I could give you one piece of advice for this quiz (it's a matching style quiz) it would be this: know their ideas about the nature of human beings, know their main ideas, and know what books they wrote (even ones that I didn't mention in the PowerPoint presentation...in other words check the textbook).

I have sent you a couple of e-mail messages. The first one is a Document Based Analysis (DBA) Assignment. Please print this off and bring it to class tomorrow. I will discuss how to approach this assignment.

I also sent you today's presentation/lecture, "France: A Setting for Revolution". Please print this presentation off and put it into your notes.

I would like you to read the following pages in Century of Change prior to tomorrow's class:

  • p.20-22 which covers the reign of Louis XIV and Louis XV
  • on p. 26 start reading from "Economic Conditions Leading up to 1789" to p.29 (stop at the heading "National Assembly")



There seems to be a lot of problems with your CBE Student e-mail accounts today. My priority tonight is to make sure that all Social 10-1 students receive their Regionalism booklets. If you are a Social 10-1 student, and still haven't been able to open the PDF file or even the Word version of the Regionalism package, please send me an e-mail from a Yahoo or Hotmail account (or any other e-mail system other CBE) and I will send it to you. You really NEED that package tonight for tomorrow's class.

For Social 20-3 and Social 20-4 students, I know that you'd like to have the DBA and the PowerPoint presentations tonight, but it isn't as pressing as the Social 10 students, so we'll sort these problems out tomorrow.

Tomorrow in class I'm going to be sending around another e-mail list, and I'll be asking for your Yahoo or Hotmail or Gmail account addresses. I just can't trust the CBE mail server completely, it's been a bit unreliable tonight. I can't spend this much time online during my evenings when I can be spending "quality time" with my son.


36 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey,
i recieved the email that you sent regarding the regionalism package. i click on the attachment and a page comes up that is saying the page can not be viewed. i have adobe so i don't know what i should do.

Anonymous said...

I can't recieve both emails you sent me because it says that the connection with the server was reset. I don't know if this is the case for everyone but you you could resend it to me possibly, that would be great. I believe it has something to do with time when you sent it and the cbemail server.
Thanks
SP Social 20-3

Anonymous said...

I can't seem to open the two emails you sent to us tonight, it says that the conection with the server was reset and it can't download from cbemail. I believe it has something to do with cbemail and when you sent it and not your email or my computer. I was wondering if you could possibly send it again to me to see if that would work, or if i could just photocopy a hard copy of yours tomorrow if that doesn't work.
Thanks
SP Social 20-3

Anonymous said...

hey i cannot open your regionilism package for some reason i have adobe acrobat. When i click the attachment to download the file it says unknown error occured.

social 10-1

Anonymous said...

hey I cannot open the regionilism package either. It says that the connection of the server was reset. What do I do?
social 10-1

Anonymous said...

So i got my mom to login at her computer at work to try and download the social emails (the word doc and powerpoint presentation) and both her and i found that we could download the second doc. of the DBA #1 email but we both could open or download the powerpoint presentation so it can't be our computers so that means it has something to do with the cbemail site i believe. Therefore i don't believe anybody will be able to download it. The best solution i think would be for you to re-email the presentation to everyone, and if that doesn't work then, i'm not to sure where to go from there.
Thanks,
SP Social 20-3

Anonymous said...

I can't find the answers to question 24 (urban population) in the CIA World Factbook. Can you help me?

Thanks,
Social 10-1

Kevin Gilchrist said...

I've sent out the Regionalism package again to all Social 10-1 students, so hopefully it got through this time.

I've also sent out today's presentation and the DBA assignment to both Social 20-3 and Social 20-4 again.

Please let me know if the problems persist.

Kevin Gilchrist said...

I can't find the answers to question 24 (urban population) in the CIA World Factbook. Can you help me?

Thanks,
Social 10-1

---------------------------
Actually, I found a page in the Canada InfoLink website that deals with this, try this website address:
http://www.canadainfolink.ca/charttwo.htm

Anonymous said...

the regionalism document still does not open. what should i do?

Kevin Gilchrist said...

the regionalism document still does not open. what should i do?

--------------------------
Please send me an e-mail me and I'll respond to your e-mail directly, and you can also maybe go into detail about the problem that you're having.

Anonymous said...

its not opening for me either, and its not something with my computer since i tried opening it at school when i had some free time on the computer during last period. ...
-social 20-3

Anonymous said...

i cant seem to open or save any of the powerpoints of files that you have sent me...what should i do!!!
ahhhhhhh!! i will email you directly nd explain my problem

Anonymous said...

Personally, i believe the method used in class last year with hotmail accounts was better. It had no problems, and was easier to get information from.

11-3

Kevin Gilchrist said...

Personally, i believe the method used in class last year with hotmail accounts was better. It had no problems, and was easier to get information from.
------------------
After tonight, I couldn't agree with you more. I'm going to get Hotmail or Yahoo addresses from everyone tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

hi
i have the package and i can open it
but i cant print it off
so i dont know what to do..

social 10-1

Kevin Gilchrist said...

hi
i have the package and i can open it
but i cant print it off
so i dont know what to do..

social 10-1

-----------------------
That's a new problem. Here's what I've been doing tonight. People have been sending me e-mails from Yahoo, Hotmail or Gmail accounts and I've been responded back to those accounts. Please do this, and I'll send the package out to you again.

Anonymous said...

I'm having problems with the package too(something about the connection to server being reset); I think using hotmail or gmail might be better. MK Social 10-1

Anonymous said...

hi
i have the package and i can open it
but i cant print it off
so i dont know what to do..

social 10-1

-----------------------


okay. i got it to work. but thanks

Anonymous said...

im having problems with population questions on the canadian geography info. sheet (mostly the rural/urban ones) and i cant find anything on the websites you put. so i dont know where to really look
:(

Anonymous said...

I don't know what to do for the geographical center of Canada question.
Social 10-1

Kevin Gilchrist said...

im having problems with population questions on the canadian geography info. sheet (mostly the rural/urban ones) and i cant find anything on the websites you put. so i dont know where to really look
:(

-----------------------
Anyone able to help out? I'm kind of busy sending out the Regionalism packages so far tonight because of all the technical snags.

Kevin Gilchrist said...

I don't know what to do for the geographical center of Canada question.
Social 10-1
-------------------------
Did you open up the second hyperlink?

Anonymous said...

i noticed that a lot of people are having troubles with priting out the prestentation from today as well as the project outline. (20-4) i am in the class and i had no problems openeing the second e mail that you send out, though i did not try the first one. Just thought i'd let you know that it worked for some of us.

Anonymous said...

Does anyone know what province is most and least urbanized (# 8)?
Thanks

Anonymous said...

Is the Baker Lake place the geographical center?

Anonymous said...

Both emails worked for me, which was good. I had no problems in opening any of the attachments.

I think the hotmail thing might be a good thing for a backup if the email attachments aren't working. I'm saying a good backup because I never seem to have problems with my cbemail account.

Social 20-4

Anonymous said...

In response to the people with the urban/rural population problems: According to the atlas, 79.9% of Canada's population is urban; this info could be found with the population map, not in the stats section. And if you googled[Canada's "most urbanized province"] it will give you alot of links which are helpful.

Anonymous said...

Alot of the rural questions were in the textbook, at least I found alot of them there.

I printed out the attachments, I think I have all the pages. 13, correct?

Does anyone know about question 23, the one about how many days Calgary spends under 0 degrees? I've googled and looked through alot of the sites -- including the posted ones. Maybe I've just missed it, but if anyone can help, thanks in advanced.

Anonymous said...

It was in the textbook lol.. Anyways, the atlas said 201 days.

Anonymous said...

Thanks a ton! I think I just missed it then. (asasdlaskdj argh.)

Anonymous said...

Baker lake is a small Inuit community located in the areas around geographical center of Canada. I don't think that's the actual name for it.

Anonymous said...

Okay, so do we still have to bring the DBA document to school tommorow? Because it doesn't seem to working to well.
sl 20-3

Kevin Gilchrist said...

Okay, so do we still have to bring the DBA document to school tommorow? Because it doesn't seem to working to well.
sl 20-3

---------------------------
Probably a lot of people weren't able to print it off. It's not essential that everyone has it tomorrow, but I'm still going to talk about it.

Anonymous said...

I can't seem to print/acess the regoinalism booklet, what should I do?
10-1

Anonymous said...

I found that if you forward the email with the regionalism booklet in it to another email account (ex. hotmail) then it will let you download it and print it off.