Wednesday, September 02, 2015

September 2


I will start course content in tomorrow's class. We spent time today looking at the course outline, classroom rules and expectations. I'll get you set up on the wiki tomorrow. You have a homework assignment due on Friday, September 4th: write me a friendly letter in which you discuss: yourself, your family, your personal interests and hobbies, music and TV shows that you enjoy, your academic goals for this semester and where you see yourself in 10 years time. Have a great night, and I'll see you in class tomorrow.

We'll start our review of the last topic we covered in IB 20 tomorrow: the Mexican-American War. I got you to sign up on the wiki (and you've been all removed from the IB 20 wiki now). I didn't start course material today, instead I went through the course syllabus, and reminded you what each of the IB paper exams will be like. Remember, Prescribed Subject 1: Peacemaking, Peacekeeping and International Relations (1918-1936) is dealt with on Paper 1. For Paper 2, we touch on three topics in Grade 11 and 12: Topic 1-Causes, Practices and Effects of Wars, Topic 3-Authoritarian and Single Party States (review content from Grade 11), and Topic 5: The Cold War. Paper 3 covers our region of study, the Americas. The topics that we'll cover in this section that you'll need to review are:
  • The U.S. Civil War and Reconstruction Period
  • Great Depression in the Americas
  • The Cold War and the Americas
  • African-American Civil Rights Movement
  • American Presidents (into the 21st Century)
See you tomorrow!

We didn't start the course today really, we'll be looking at globalization more closely tomorrow. I introduced myself, and went through the course outline. I also got you to sign up for the wiki (have a look around). You have a homework assignment due on Friday: a friendly letter in which you'll introduce yourself to me. Some topics that you can cover would include: tell me about yourself and your family, your personal interests and hobbies, what extracurricular activities you have participated in the past, and what you're going to do at Churchill, what other courses you are taking this semester, your academic goals for the semester. I look forward to reading the letters and getting to know you better.

No comments: