Monday, May 01, 2006

May 1


I collected your Political Cartoon assignment today in class. It looks like there is a wide variety of cartoons that have been selected, which is nice to see. I showed you a video entitled "Our Constitution". This will be the last video that I will be showing in this series. How sad. I also returned your position papers today as well. If I made the comment that I need to see you before our next position paper then you need to come and see me in tutorial time this week! I also shared with you some upcoming important dates which will be outlined below.

  • Politics and Government Unit Final is on Tuesday, May 9th (a study guide will be posted tomorrow on the blog)
  • Politics and Government In-Class Position Paper is on Thursday, May 11th (the topic will be on minority governments in Canada)
  • Politics and Government Group Project (Poster) is due on May 15th (more details this week)

You wrote your Imperialism Unit Final today in class. By now you should have read and taken notes on the following in Chapter 12:

  • Dual Entente
  • Weltpolitik
  • Foreign Interventions
  • The Balkan Wars
  • The Schlieffen Plan
  • Assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand

I would like you to read the following pages in Chapter 13, and take notes on the following topics. Please read pages 234-241 in your textbook. Next, please take point form notes on the following topics:

  • The Western Front 1914
  • The Eastern Front 1914
  • Trench Warfare

You should have had an opportunity to do some reading and note-taking after the unit final.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

do we get a word bank for the voacb pop quiz?

Kevin Gilchrist said...

No, there's no word bank. I selected key terms that you MUST know. I didn't pick any really obscure ones either.

Kevin Gilchrist said...

If you want to quiz one another on the blog here, be my guest.

Kevin Gilchrist said...

Please keep in mind that your classmates may make mistakes, but hopefully we don't have any really blatant errors. Have fun with it! If you make a game of it, studying can be more enjoyable.

Anonymous said...

whats the difference between dissolution and prorogue?

Anonymous said...

Prorogue ends a session of parliament, while dissolution ends the parliament itself. Essentially prorogue is a closing of business, while dissolution is a ending of the current government. Dissolution is always followed by a general election, while prorogue is not.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Gilchrist, will we need to know terms like "daily order of business" vs. "daily routine of business" and titles like "honourable" and who they apply to?

Anonymous said...

Spiderman, Spiderman...
Can spell faster then any nerd can...

Anonymous said...

Mr Gilchrist:
It's Aaron from your social 10 class. I wasn't here today because I was very sick, I called in this morning though to excuse my absence. If you could please email me anything I might've missed today in class or something it'd be great thanks.

Kevin Gilchrist said...

Anonymous 6:24 p.m. comment: No you don't need to know those for the quiz.

Spiderman was so last year. Start quoting from something cool like "V for Vendetta".

Aaron, I have nothing to send you tonight.

Anonymous said...

whats the difference between leader of the official opposition and leader of the opposition in the senate

Anonymous said...

how on earth are we going to be able to memorize 90 terms
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Anonymous said...

Correct me please if I am wrong Mr. Gilchrist, but didn't you say that this test would be matching?

Kevin Gilchrist said...

This quiz is matching.

7:48 p.m.: you need to read the previous posts. I'm not testing you on all 90 terms (only 20) and I picked the ones that are very common, that you NEED to know (think "basic" terms).

Anonymous said...

Phew. So does that mean we will have the words on one side, and definitions on the other and pick the best fit?

Kevin Gilchrist said...

Yes. Feel better?

Anonymous said...

You just made my evening Mr. Gilchrist.

Kevin Gilchrist said...

Excellent. Gambatte kudasai.

Anonymous said...

What does Gambatte kudasai mean? Is that japanese? I am confused.

Kevin Gilchrist said...

Yes, that's Japanese. It doesn't translate too well. Typically Japanese people will translate it as "please fight on" or "please perservere". I told you it didn't translate well, but trust me it sounds really cool.

Anonymous said...

I trust you.

Anonymous said...

i hope the pop quiz is no tomorrow or that would be soo badd=(

hint hint

Anonymous said...

Mr Gilchrist, will you be sending out the assignment tonight or will there be a link on the blog? and do you think it will still be due tomorrow?

Kevin Gilchrist said...

I'll be sending out the assignment tonight. It will definitely be due on Thursday.