Monday, September 08, 2008

September 8


Please check your e-mail! I have sent you a message!
I did a homework check on your Chapter 1 Key Terms and Questions at the beginning of class, and then you got this homework assignment back at the end of class. I also did a homework check on your 25 item chart that was also due today. I gave you an assignment that built upon this homework assignment the game of Global Bingo that we played last week. I'm putting instructions on the blog here (just in case you didn't get this written down in class):

Here are some reminder instructions for the map:

  • People on the map should be represented by circles, color the circles and make sure there is a number beside each circle
  • Make sure that you have colored and labelled the 25 different countries (color the entire country), these countries represent the 25 items that you found for homework and put into your chart
  • Make sure that you have labeled every country that you or a classmate has a connection to
  • Choose different colors to represent your different categories (food, clothing, electronics, entertainment)
  • Make sure that you have a detailed key on the back of your map (reproducing your 25 item chart's information with color codes for the different categories)
  • Make sure that you have a title for your map
  • Make sure that you have a simplified key on the front of your map (color code for the different categories, and people)
  • No border is necessary
  • No compass rose is necessary
  • You don't need to color the oceans or bodies of water (if you feel the need to color them, simply do a blue outline of the land masses that touch the major oceans and seas)
  • Don't forget to color ALL of a country (for example, Alaska is part of the USA and should be colored, don't forget to color the islands in the Arctic Ocean that are part of Canada if you have a connection to Canada)

I also gave you your access codes to the wiki. Hopefully, we have a few pages of content put up on the wiki tonight, and I'd like to see you add to the Unit 1 Key Terms and specifically the Chapter 1 Key Terms (put them in alphabetical order too). If I see that people aren't voluntarily using the wiki I might be more direct in asking people to contribute (i.e. making it a homework assignment). Your global connections maps are due on Wednesday. Please make sure that you follow the directions!




I did a homework check on the Chapter 1 Key Terms and Questions at the beginning of class, if you didn't get this back, it was because I was pressed for time to keep both sections at the same point in my lecture. I'll be working through this lecture for a few days, so I won't be sending it out right away. Please read the following pages in your textbook: p. 43-47, 50, 52-53. This will prepare you for tomorrow's class. If you feel like moving on to working on the Chapter 2 Key Terms or Questions, please feel free to do so. Just know that I've added some key concepts that aren't in your textbook. I'd like to see some work done on the wiki tonight, some additions to the Glossary and Unit 1 Key Concepts, maybe also some collaborative notes on the differences between a nation, a nation-state and nationalism, for example.




When I send you presentations, here is what I recommend that you do: keep an electronic copy of the presentation, preferably in an appropriately named folder. Next you'll need to print it off. I recommend that you print off 4 slides per page. Here's how you do it. Open the presentation up in PowerPoint, then go under File and select Print. Then set things up like the picture below:

No comments: