Monday, November 07, 2005

November 7

I'm sorry for the late posting tonight. I know that I promised a lot of hyperlinks to the Social 10 class, but I don't think that I'll be able to get to it tonight. I'll try tomorrow morning.

I delivered a presentation today on the Cold War. Some of the material in today's presentation comes from content in Chapter 15 in your textbook. I also distributed a WWI and WWII Research Project to class today. This project is not due until Wednesday, November 30th.


I went over some textbook questions that you were working on last week. I also gave you some time to work on either your World War I assignment (it's due on Wednesday) or to study for your Imperialism test (which is tomorrow). Here are some maps that should help you with the WWI assignment. Please click on the maps to see a larger view of the maps.






Please note that the Bosphorus Strait is the area between the two parts of Turkey. If you can find Constatinople (Istanbul), then that is where this strait is located.

This map is in Italian, but it's the best one that I could find. Italy is colored purple on this map, and the Austro-Hungarian Empire is sort of green. Caporetto is almost due north of the Adriatic Sea. It is on the Austro-Hungarian side of the border.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Weren't there 2 Battles of Ypres? One from Oct to Nov 1914 and another one in April 1915?

Kevin Gilchrist said...

There were at least two battles at Ypres: the First Battle of Ypres (1914), the Second Battle of Ypres (1915). Some historians also refer to a third battle at Ypres. Canadians were involved in the Second Battle of Ypres (this is when chlorine gas is used). As far as the third battle, I refered to this as the Battle of Passchendale, as many historians do. In the first Battle of Ypres, it's the British (British Expeditionary Force), the Belgians, and the French battling the Germans. Does this help to clear things up?

Anonymous said...

Where is battle of Jutland andddd Lusitania sunk??

Anonymous said...

Do u want us to mark the map where it says with an "x"??