Monday, February 27, 2006

February 27


At the beginning of class I collected your promotional brochure assignment. It looks like most of you handed it in on time. Please make sure that if you didn't hand it in during class time that you hand it in to my mailbox in the main office as soon as possible. I went over the French-English Relations Quiz as well today. This was very unusual for me, since I rarely, if ever, go over exams during class time (I would prefer to deal with it individually during tutorial times). I then had you do some reading and note-taking on the topic of Western Alienation. If you missed class today, you will have to come to tutorial times this week to finish this assignment. I will be giving you a little bit of class time tomorrow to finish off the reading and note-taking assignment. Please check your e-mail tonight, as I have sent to you two articles about Albertan independence. Please print off these articles and read them before you come to class tomorrow. Please remember to study and prepare for Thursday's Regionalism Unit Final!
  • Regionalism Unit Final is on Thursday, March 2nd
  • French-English Relations Timeline Project is due on Monday, March 6th



I did a homework check for the word searches at the beginning of class today. The first ten students with completed word searches that showed them to me received a bonus homework check mark.
I then showed you a "History Bites" video on the French Revolution. Was it corny? Maybe. Hopefully, you got some of those corny jokes because you know something about the French Revolution now. I then had you do a reading entitled "The Terror". I'm sorry, but I don't have an electronic version of this article to send to you by e-mail, so if you missed class today, please get this reading from me. Additionally, I would like you to create a chart (yes, I know, another one) on the "Governments of the Revolution". Organize your chart as follows: create the following headings: Dates, Government Name, Government Type, Important Events. Under the "Government Names" column, please fill in the following government names (I've put them here in chronological order already): National Assembly, Legislative Assembly, National Convention, and the Directory. Other than the Directory (which had a Republic as its' "Type of Government") I did not give you any more information. Please complete this chart for homework for tomorrow. Also I told you that you will be having a quiz on the French Revolution this Friday. The format for the quiz will be matching and short answer questions. Please use the following study guide to help focus your studying.



1. Key Terms, Key Events, Key People of the French Revolution (the following list is a good start):

  • Bastille
  • cahiers
  • Civil Constitution of the Clergy
  • Committee of Public Safety
  • Danton
  • Declaration of the Rights of Man
  • Directory
  • the Three Estates
  • Estates General
  • Girondins
  • "Great Fear"
  • Jacobins
  • Lafayette
  • Law of Suspects
  • Levee en Masse
  • Louis XVI
  • Marat
  • Marie-Antoinette
  • the "Mountain"
  • National Assembly
  • National Convention
  • Necker
  • Old Regime
  • the "Plain"
  • Reign of Terror
  • Republic of Virtue
  • Revolutionary Tribunal
  • Robespierre
  • Sans-culottes
  • September Massacres
  • Supreme Being
  • Tennis Court Oath

*This list is alphabetically arranged from a glossary of key terms that I gave to you as a handout, so study from it.


2. Structure of French Society under the Old Regime

3. Causes of the French Revolution (intellectual, political, social, economic)

4. Declaration of the Rights of Man (major concepts/ideas in the Declaration)

5. Revolutionary Governments

6. Reign of Terror

7. Changes that the Jacobins introduced into French society

8. Key Figures/Leaders of the Revolution

9. Political Spectrum

10. Results of the French Revolution

Are you feeling feisty? Then you may want to play a couple of the games that I have set up hyperlinks to below (you might even learn something)

Don't throw me too far...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those games are actually pretty good, I learned some stuff too, lol.

Anonymous said...

OMG,these articles r so boring!

Kevin Gilchrist said...

You mean to say it doesn't stir your passion for an independent Alberta?

Anonymous said...

i think that the article that leans toward staying with Canada is too emotionally based and there aren't enough facts

Kevin Gilchrist said...

We're going to talk about that in class tomorrow. They both use some interesting, emotionally charged language.