Friday, February 03, 2006

February 3


Today we really started the Regionalism unit. I gave you a small booklet, this will hopefully be the last hard copy handout that I will give you this semester. I will begin sending you handouts and presentations by e-mail now. The only time that I will give you a handout is if it something that exists only as a hard copy (for example, something that I clipped out of a newspaper). Please check your e-mail over the weekend, as I will probably be sending you something via e-mail. For those of you who missed class today, I will try to send you what I handed out today in class by e-mail. The only sticking point are a couple of maps that I want you to do.
The maps that you started today in class, should be colored with a legend for Monday. You'll get a chance to finish them next week by adding full descriptions of the physical and climatic regions of Canada. I also collected your homework assignments today in class. This assignment will be returned to you on Monday. The maps were taken in for marks, and the "Basic Canadian Geographical Information" worksheet will be checked for completion and count towards homework completion.

Announcement (Saturday, February 4th): I have sent you an e-mail with an attachment. Please print off the pages that you need to from the attachment. It is a PDF file, and it covers many of the initial topics that we'll be covering in the Regionalism unit. Please print this off for Monday's class!! Please don't delete anything that I send to you. Please create a folder on your computer and save everything that I send out via the e-mail distribution list. If you didn't receive this e-mail message, let me know, otherwise I assume that everything was received.


We did a brief review of the comparison between the upper class and the peasantry at the beginning of class today. Then I gave you some advice on how to complete the chart that is due on Monday, specifically, if you're not sure how to complete the last column ("How These Ideas Differed From the Feudal Society")please keep in mind that the philosophes were criticizing traditional institutions: the Church, feudal structure/social organization, the King/nobility/aristocracy. So keep in mind when you're reading ideas associated with the philosophes, "who (or what) are they criticizing with this idea?" I also gave you excerpts of Rousseau's The Social Contract and Locke's Two Treatises on Government to use in a document analysis assignment that is due on Tuesday.

Announcement (Saturday, February 4th): I have sent to you the PowerPoint presentation that I delivered on the Renaissance and the Enlightenment. Please check your e-mail messages. My advice to you is to convert these PowerPoint presentations into Word documents and print them off. Please don't delete these presentations!! Create a folder on your computer at home and save everything that I send you this semester. Please let me know if you didn't receive this e-mail. If I don't hear from you, I assume that the message was received.

31 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's easy and hard at the same time!

If we're to pick their "best quote" as you said, Mr.G, how 'long' would you recommend it to be? I figured a 3-4 line paragraph would do good service.




-David.H

Anonymous said...

This blog is so helpful =)
thanks so much!

Kevin Gilchrist said...

Like I said in class today, it's really going to vary how long the quotes will be. Some might be one line or maybe three lines at the most.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Mr.G.


And excellent, Flames are winning 2-1 so far.


-David.H

Anonymous said...

Social 10-12
Just wondering if we have to colour the water on the map blue, or do we leave it blank

Anonymous said...

Social 10-2*

Anonymous said...

Hey Mr. Gilchrist,

I love this blog idea it's such a good idea. This wasy if I have questions I don't have to worry about tutorial and rushing to complete an assignment after knowing how to do it! Anyways my question is about that document analysis asignment. I didn't find the reading hard, but I noticed that for some of the questions there was more than one quote you could use.. is there only one right answer (or I guess two, one from each article) for each of the questions, or is there more than. so what I guess I'm asking is, do you have a specific quote in mind for each one or is there several possibilities as long as they can relate?

Kevin Gilchrist said...

Social 10-2: I'm not sure which maps you're talking about. If it's the two maps that were due yesterday (Friday) then you had to color around the coasts of Canada and any islands. If you're talking about the Regions of Canada or Climate Map of Canada that I gave you on Friday then you DON'T have to color the oceans.

Kevin Gilchrist said...

Social 20-4: I do have certain quotes in mind when I'm marking those assignments, but obviously if the quote that you use also applies, you get credit for it. So as long as you're not completely off track, then you'll probably get credit for your answer. Does that help?

Anonymous said...

This is kind of related to Samantha's quesiton. So if you feel that our quote from the article doesn't really work with the other thing we won't get marks for it?? =o. I have another quesiton, I don't mean to rush you or anything at all, but I was wondering when we would get our social notes? I understand your busy, but do you think you will send them out this weekend? The information will only stick in our minds long term if we review it within twenty-four hours of learning it!haha=p. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

whats your policy on lates? can we hand in maps on monday?

Anonymous said...

Yes it does, that's good to no because for some of the questions I noticed that there was more than one quote that could work and I was trying to pick the best one.

Kevin Gilchrist said...

I'll be sending out notes for Social 20-4 students today at some point. I just wanted to add in a couple of points to the presentation that I gave, including a bit of information on Diderot and Quesnay.You'll be getting it this afternoon.

Kevin Gilchrist said...

Late policy: For Social 10-1 and 10-2 students, maps were due on Friday (unless you had an excused absence). I deduct 10% per day that you hand assignments in late. fortunately for you, I don't count the weekend, so it will only be 10% off. Typically, I try to have assignments due earlier in the week, so I don't run into the weekend. If you reach more than 30% marks deducted then I don't accept the assignment, and you are given a mark of zero. I am flexible though if there are serious extenuating circumstances.

Kevin Gilchrist said...

Social 20-4 students: I have just sent out the presentation on the Renaissance and the Enlightenment at about 1:10 p.m. on Saturday. Please check your e-mail!

Anonymous said...

Mr. Gilchrist, i was wondering when the Enlightenment Quiz will be next week?

Kevin Gilchrist said...

It will be a pop quiz, so you won't know exactly when it will happen, you just have to be ready for it.

Anonymous said...

Hey Mr.Glichrist, for the chart we have to do, can certain columns for certain figures be empty? I have no clue what to put in the "VIEW OF NATURE OF HUMAN BEINGS" column for Voltaire.

Anonymous said...

Also, do the main figures of the englihtenment have to be in any order on the chart?

Anonymous said...

Here's more on the difference between upper and lower class:

http://www.goatse.ca

Kevin Gilchrist said...

The main figures of the Enlightenment don't necessarily have to appear in the order in which I wrote them out on the board, however, that is the order in which they appear in the textbook.

Kevin Gilchrist said...

Voltaire thought that human happiness was impossible because he felt that the actions of selfish people would spoil the well being of all their fellow human beings. He also felt that governments were so violent and organized religion is so corrupt that they ruin lives of millions through war and exploitation. Now, you have to put that into your words so it makes sense to you.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Gilchrist, are you taking in the chart.
Or is it more of a study purpose for our quiz and for the unit?

Kevin Gilchrist said...

I will be taking in the chart just to see if you're on the right track with these Enlightenment thinkers.

Anonymous said...

Was Diedrot on the chart?

Anonymous said...

Social 10-12
for the regions map, im kind of confused.
is it candian sheild, st. lawrence lowlands etc., or is it like the map in the text book which shows boreal, southwestern, west coast regions.

Anonymous said...

where do we find info about Cesane Becaria?

Kevin Gilchrist said...

He's mentioned in Chapter 1 on pages 12 and 13.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Gilchrist, im just wondering if the key book that the school sales... helps for the exam and this course?? is it like all definitions? or ?? what kind of book is it?

Kevin Gilchrist said...

The Key is full of multiple choice questions to help you prepare for the Final Exam for Social 20.

Kevin Gilchrist said...

Please check Thursday's post to see who was supposed to be on the chart for Social 20.