Tuesday, March 20, 2007

March 20


Today was a very busy day. We covered a few key topics. I finished with my first lecture/presentation on World War I (I have already sent this presentation to you), and then I continued into the second part of my WWI lecture/presentation. I will send this second presentation to you today. I hope that you also found my "tangent" about the impact of the war on art/literature to be interesting. Here is a link to a website that discusses J.R.R. Tolkien's experiences in the Great War, and how that influenced his writing of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, specifically the Journey through the Dead Marshes. The Great War was also a time when some of our most famous landscape artists came to the forefront, I'm referring to the Group of Seven, of course. Can you see some similarities in the pictures that I'm posting below?







I guess my point is that art is based on personal experience, and these artists were heavily influenced by their experiences in the Great War.

I would like you to read Chapter 8 in the textbook, and define the following key terms:

  • Imperial Munitions Board
  • Wartime Elections Act
  • Victory Bonds
  • Military Service Act


You wrote your Dictatorship Unit Final for most of the class today, and we started the second theme of Topic A in Social 33, that is, Economic Systems. Please remember that your Dictator Assignment is due tomorrow. You also have a Political Systems Final on Thursday, please review democracies and dictatorships. To see the study guide for this final exam please click here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

For my current event, if my article focuses specifically on one aspect of the new budget, do I also need to know information about other areas of the budget during my presentation?

Kevin Gilchrist said...

For my current event, if my article focuses specifically on one aspect of the new budget, do I also need to know information about other areas of the budget during my presentation?

-----------------
I wouldn't expect you to know every single aspect of the budget. It would be good to know who the finance minister is, and who are the "winners" and "losers" (if any with this budget), in other words, who supports it, and who is against it, and why.

Anonymous said...

Hey thanks Mr.G for the information on lord of the rings and WWI. It's actually really interesting.