Tuesday, October 10, 2006

October 10


I gave you a reading on Foreign Aid in class today. You need to complete this reading if you didn't finish it in class. I started our new unit, "Sovereignty". I delivered a lecture/presentation on "Canadian Sovereignty", which I will be sending out later tonight (probably after 8:00 p.m.). I collected your French-English Relations Timeline assignments as well today.
  • "Canada's Symbols" worksheet is due tomorrow, October 11th
  • FTA/Peacekeeping Booklet questions are due tomorrow
  • Peacekeeping Map is tomorrow
  • Identity Unit Final is on Monday, October 16th(please see the study guide below; I posted a version of the study guide last week too)

  • Identity:Personal and National
  • Forces that Shape a Nation's Identity
  • Canadian Identity and Culture
  • Features of Canadian Identity
  • Canada's Evolving Identity (History)
  • French-English Relations (review)
  • Bilingualism (language policy)
  • Bi and Bi Commission (Lester B. Pearson)
  • Why was the Bi and Bi Commission formed?
  • Findings of the commission and recommendations
  • Official Languages Act 1969
  • Multiculturalism
  • cultural pluralism
  • adoption of multiculturalism as official government policy (Trudeau)
  • Multiculturalism Act (Mulroney)
  • arguments for and against multiculturalism
  • Canadian-American Relations (focus on Chapter 17)
  • cultural protectionism
  • CBC, NFB, CRTC
  • Massey Commission
  • Canada Council
  • relationship between Canada and the United States
  • Free Trade Agreement (FTA) between Canada and the U.S.
  • Canada's Worldwide Reputation (involvement in the United Nations/peacekeeping activities)




Marked assignments were handed back today. I also had you hand in two assignments which were due today. I would like you to read Chapter 8 tonight, and complete the key terms worksheet that I handed out in class today. I also delivered a presentation/lecture on Italian and German unification. I will be sending this presentation out tonight after 8 p.m. Please check your e-mail inboxes, I have sent you all a "present".

  • Chapter 8 Key Terms/People Worksheet is due tomorrow (please have it completed!)
  • Read Chapter 8 tonight
  • Nationalism Test is on Thursday, October 12th (please see the study guide)
  • Chapter 5 Questions are due on Friday, October 13th (Q 1-12)
  • French Revolution/Napoleonic Era Board Game Project is due October 24th


Interim Report Cards went home today!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

well that present you gave us wasn't very nice there mr. g.

Anonymous said...

agreed

Anonymous said...

i would like a gift recipet with my present...i dislike it

Anonymous said...

ohh so would i, i'd like to exchange it for something you said about the end of the month where we might not have to hand things in for marks for a while because of your university thing...i like that better.

Anonymous said...

since you gave us the so called "present" we should have that break at the end of the month.

"VERY EVIL""" AHHHH

Anonymous said...

How do you write position paper again?.Can you please go over it.Please

Anonymous said...

I agree with most of these people. I don't mean to complain, but I think the extensive workload is just a little bit unnecassery. Why have a board game project and an essay on the same things?

Kevin Gilchrist said...

How do you write position paper again?.Can you please go over it.Please

----------------------
I will. I'm assuming that you were never taught how to write a position paper.
As for the rest of you...maybe it was mean to call the position paper a "present". Any revolts will be suppressed though. You probably will be getting a bit of "break" soon enough. But I don't want you to get soft on me. Position papers are necessary, the board game project is designed to give you a creative outlet. I think it's a fun project, and I'm looking forward to the dazzling results.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I've sent my french english timeline over to you a couple times already, but you dont seem to be getting it, I'll just bring it on my usb tomorrow. M.K. SS10-1

Kevin Gilchrist said...

Hi, I've sent my french english timeline over to you a couple times already, but you dont seem to be getting it, I'll just bring it on my usb tomorrow. M.K. SS10-1

------------------
Sounds good.

Anonymous said...

when's our congress of vienna chart due?

Kevin Gilchrist said...

when's our congress of vienna chart due?
--------------------------
I'm not assigning it as homework, but it will put you "ahead of the game" if you complete it.