Thursday, October 12, 2006

October 12


You wrote your Nationalism Test today. If it seemed easy, that's great! It's NOT an easy test, both classes did exceptionally well on it. I'll give you the results tomorrow. Remember to go directly to the Blenheim Room tomorrow. This will be the last class period that I will give you to work on your French Revolution/Napoleonic Era Board Game Project. Don't forget that your Chapter 5 questions are due tomorrow (Q1-12).


I delivered a lecture on World War I today. I will be sending this presentation out to you shortly. I assigned the following work to be completed by Tuesday, October 17th:

1. Read Chapter 7 in Canada: A Nation Unfolding (pages 132-146)

2. Create notes on trench warfare (focus on pages 140-143)

3. Find and define/explain the following key terms/people:

  • alliances
  • militarism
  • imperialism
  • nationalism
  • Robert Borden
  • no-man's land
  • trench foot
  • Triple Entente
  • Triple Alliance
  • Archduke Franz Ferdinand
  • the Schlieffen Plan
  • trench warfare
  • Western Front
  • the Battle of the Somme
  • Battle of Ypres
  • Douglas Haig
  • Gavrillo Princip
  • the Black Hand

I also set up our current events schedule for the coming months, the first presentation is slated for Thursday, October 19th. Please remember that your current event piece must have a "Canadian connection" and be related to one of the themes that we have been studying, such as: sovereignty, regionalism, identity or politics and government.

Don't forget that your Identity Unit Final is on Monday, October 16th!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

there are some terms on the blog that you didn't tell us to write down. ex. western front and there are some you said to write down and there not on the blog. ex. Robert Borden
do you want us to do the ones on the blog?

Anonymous said...

what was the highest mark in the class? and do you think we did well?

20-3

Anonymous said...

the questions are hard....

Anonymous said...

Umm for my chapter 5 questions me and my friend did them together on the computer were in different clases, 20-3 and 20-4, but we were wondering if we could both just use the answers or do we have to change them so they are not the same
if we can both use them should we put both our names on both sheets, or just our own name??
thanx 20-4

Kevin Gilchrist said...

I added Borden to the list. Did I forget any others? The list on the blog is the one I want you to use, so I want to make sure that I haven't fogotten any key terms.

Kevin Gilchrist said...

Umm for my chapter 5 questions me and my friend did them together on the computer were in different clases, 20-3 and 20-4, but we were wondering if we could both just use the answers or do we have to change them so they are not the same
if we can both use them should we put both our names on both sheets, or just our own name??
thanx 20-4

------------------
Your answers should be different!!

Anonymous said...

im having a little trouble with question five:why is central europe mportant to europe, all i could find is because prussia and austria were deemed necessary German states.
An i cant find anything on the second part of the question:How did the congress hope to maintain a balance of power in europe??
please help me

20-3

Anonymous said...

Mr. Gilchrist, I was absent today (I had an excused absence). I can bring a note to if necessary. Will I still be allowed to take the Nationalism test?

20-4

Kevin Gilchrist said...

Mr. Gilchrist, I was absent today (I had an excused absence). I can bring a note to if necessary. Will I still be allowed to take the Nationalism test?
-------------------
If it's an excused absence, then yes.

Anonymous said...

why did the attitudes of the congress participants change after napoleons return from exile, it wsays nothing of their attitudes in the book.

Kevin Gilchrist said...

im having a little trouble with question five:why is central europe mportant to europe, all i could find is because prussia and austria were deemed necessary German states.
An i cant find anything on the second part of the question:How did the congress hope to maintain a balance of power in europe??
please help me
---------------------------
Central Europe is important to Europe because it is right in between two major powers at the time of the Congress of Vienna: France and Russia. Central Europe, in the this case, the German states could act as "watchdogs" to prevent France from dominating Europe again. The strength of Central Europe was key to maintaining a "balance of power" in Europe in the Age of Metternich, Prussia and Austria had to be strong states to keep France in check.

Kevin Gilchrist said...

why did the attitudes of the congress participants change after napoleons return from exile, it wsays nothing of their attitudes in the book.

------------------------
Think about it. The Congress of Vienna is meeting to "turn back the clock" to restore Europe to way things were before the French Revolution and the Napoleonic wars had expanded the French empire, and now Napoleon was returning to Europe from exile to "mess things up" again.

Anonymous said...

you also missed Gavrilo princip, ' black hand,' and douglas haig
10-1

Kevin Gilchrist said...

Thanks, I'm adding them to the list!

Anonymous said...

no problem